“‘…Aisha said: How good are the women of Ansar (helpers) that their shyness does not prevent them from learning religion.” The Book of Menstruation – Kitab Al-Haid
Typing one-handed with a spoon for my Nutella in the other hand, I went online today and asked some of my sisters what’s their “Why Mama’s Not Fasting” story and this is what we came up with:
- “I have my period.” – This seems to work just fine for the five and under crowd.
- Some kids are satisfied with something simple along the line of”Allah gives women a break from praying and fasting every month.”
- The latter is often further explained with “because part of the work our body does to be able to have babies is to make extra blood and if we don’t have a baby our body goes ahead and gets rid of that little extra every month.” I like to tie that in with “And you know we can’t pray with blood on us or when we are bleeding.”
- A writer friend used to do a lovely analogy comparing “my body and a nesting place for a potential baby. Then I said that if a baby doesn’t come, Allah takes away the nesting place, and during those times Mama can’t pray.”
- And a midwife friend does a full biological/creation mark up including “womb linings and drawing on resources in the body.”